httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From Sorin Manolache <sor...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Bandwith limit/per user from mysql
Date Tue, 08 Dec 2009 08:19:32 GMT
On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 05:11, partysoft <partysoft@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am looking for a solution to limit the bandwith for the users of a site
> that have access to some mp3 / subscription. I don't want to serve files
> through PHP, but directly with some apache module..
> do i have to count every bit? or how this should be handled. I have all the
> info on a mysql DB.
> Thank you so much for your replies.

This kind of functionality,  in my opinion, is better implemented at
transport level and not at application level.

I've done something similar, but more primitive, i.e. the cumulated
bandwidth of all connections to port 80 was capped, using traffic
shaping in the linux kernel.

The network packets are classified with iptables and then each class
can be given a different queueing policy with tc. Check
http://lartc.org/howto/, chapter 9. I didn't do it per user, but I
suppose one can easily do it per client IP address. I admit that maybe
this approach is not suitable when you identify users with some data
token at application level.