httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From Christoph Gröver <gro...@sitepark.com>
Date Mon, 09 Nov 2009 18:06:37 GMT

Hello list,

I have written a module which does filtering the content.

It gets those buckets and works on them and passes on the brigade of
buckets. OK, works perfect for nearly all conditions.

Execpt ....

When the user runs the infamous Internet Explorer and uses a
misconfigured proxy, it doesn't.

With the help of some debugging we have found out what happens: The
proxy is not HTTP/1.1-aware, which means it just changes the
HTTP-response to be HTTP/1.0, but it keeps the
'chunked transfer encoding' of the original content.

Almost all browsers recognize that it's still chunked although the
header claims to be HTTP/1.0 and do the right thing.

MSIE doesn't. It gives the user the content and displays it with those
hex encoded chunk lengths in it.

Of course, this breaks website design and often the functionality.

So, what can we do about it?

We cannot change the proxy people are using and we cannot fix their
misconfigured proxies (or their broken proxies).

We cannot tell them to not use MSIE, either.

So we should tell the Apache Webserver to not use 'chunked transfer
encoding'. I thought this might be possible by just saying

r->chunked = FALSE;

But it didn't help.

So after some talking: Is there a way to get rid of CTFE ?

Perhaps if we collect all the chunks, put it in one chunk and set a
ContentLength-Header ?

Or is there another trick to do this?

Greetings from Münster, looking forward to your ideas.

--
Christoph Gröver, grover@sitepark.com
Sitepark GmbH, Gesellschaft für Informationsmanagement, AG Münster, HRB