httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: maintaining sessions among multiple processes
Date Fri, 02 Oct 2009 12:16:11 GMT
martin nylin wrote:
> hi
>
> i'm using apache 2.2 mpm-worker and have noticed that incoming
> requests are dispatched to apache processes in a way that makes it
> hard for me to maintain sessions in my module. i'm using the user
> field of the request_rec as session key

Huh?  The request_rec has the lifetime of a request.  Nothing on
it will preserve a session across requests.

>	and would therefore like all
> incoming request from a certain user to always be dispatched to the
> same process.

"from a certain user"?

If you have a notion of user, then you have a session already!
But you only know that mid-request.

> i do realize that shared memory might be an alternative way to
> implement sessions, but i think it would be very tricky in this case
> since my session objects contains pointers to objects of unknown size

There are many ways to implement sessions: my book might help
as might many of those that teach you development with Perl,
PHP, Ruby, etc.  The usual way is to give the client a token,
and you can match that to a serverside session token if it
needs to record more state info than is reasonable client-side.

--
Nick Kew