httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From Jaysingh Samuel <jayasingh.sam...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Repetitive warnings on ErrorLogs.
Date Tue, 08 Sep 2009 11:54:57 GMT

Hi soren,
Thanks for useful information on this.
We are not spawning children from the pre/post config, but still i could see the long lost
child alerts. This alerts is coming only on graceful restart(SIGUSR) of the server and not
on restart on the server.
When i did debug on the worker server_main function i could see that after the run config
is done for all the modules, there are many process ID thrown with "long lost child", and
after that the server resumes with the children.
Iam wondering is the alerts are showing because of the custom modules what we are using a
longer time to finish with?.
Please throw some light on this.
Thanks in advance. Jaysingh Samuel
> Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 08:51:25 +0200
> Subject: Re: Repetitive warnings on ErrorLogs.
> From: sorinm@gmail.com
> To: modules-dev@httpd.apache.org
>
> On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 08:41, Jaysingh
> Samuel<jayasingh.samuel@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> > We are getting the following warning's on the error Logs. The warning are shown
at graceful restart of apache server.

> > [warn] long lost child came home! (pid 31188)
> >
> > We are doing graceful restart of apache server every 30 minutes and we get these
warning repetitively, i have tested with the apache "restart" and that's not showing warning.
> > Is this a fatal error?. More light on this regarding the cause and solution to stop
this will be very helpful.

> > Thanks in advance,Jaysingh Samuel.
>

> Apache keeps its children in a table of process IDs, called the
> scoreboard. Then, the main server, the one that has created and
> started the children processes, waits on them. When the child exits,
> the main server looks up the PID of the exiting child in the
> scoreboard. If the child is not in the scoreboard, you get this
> warning.
>
> It may occur if you start children from your main server (for example
> in the pre/post_config hooks). As you start them yourself, they won't
> be managed by apache, so their PIDs do not appear in the scoreboard.
> This would be a "harmless" way in which you could get the warning when
> you shut down your children.

> --
> A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.
> Q: Why is top-posting frowned upon?
> A: Top-posting.

We all see it as it is. But on MSN India, the difference lies in perspective.
http://in.msn.com