httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From Sorin Manolache <sor...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Repetitive warnings on ErrorLogs.
Date Mon, 07 Sep 2009 06:51:25 GMT
On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 08:41, Jaysingh
Samuel<jayasingh.samuel@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> We are getting the following warning's on the error Logs. The warning are shown at graceful
restart of apache server.

> [warn] long lost child came home! (pid 31188)
>
> We are doing graceful restart of apache server every 30 minutes and we get these warning
repetitively, i have tested with the apache "restart" and that's not showing warning.
> Is this a fatal error?. More light on this regarding the cause and solution to stop this
will be very helpful.

> Thanks in advance,Jaysingh Samuel.

Apache keeps its children in a table of process IDs, called the
scoreboard. Then, the main server, the one that has created and
started the children processes, waits on them. When the child exits,
the main server looks up the PID of the exiting child in the
scoreboard. If the child is not in the scoreboard, you get this
warning.

It may occur if you start children from your main server (for example
in the pre/post_config hooks). As you start them yourself, they won't
be managed by apache, so their PIDs do not appear in the scoreboard.
This would be a "harmless" way in which you could get the warning when
you shut down your children.

A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.
Q: Why is top-posting frowned upon?
A: Top-posting.