httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From "Houser, Rick" <Houser.R...@aoins.com>
Subject RE: mod_deflate feature needed
Date Thu, 16 Jul 2009 17:31:14 GMT
It's more efficient.  A stat syscall can get you the file-size of a
local file before attempting to do anything else.  You can't do the
equivalent with an unknown request that gets streamed in from a backend
server.  You could check, but I think the content-length indicates the
uncompressed content even then.

Wouldn't an easier solution to your problem be to just disable deflate
and/or HTTP 1.1 when talking to your problematic CDN?  It's only one
transfer per network, right?

Thanks,

Rick Houser
Auto-Owners Insurance
Systems Support
(517)703-2580

-----Original Message-----
From: Anthony J. Biacco [mailto:abiacco@formatdynamics.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 16, 2009 1:16 PM
To: modules-dev@httpd.apache.org
Subject: RE: mod_deflate feature needed

Yep, that's what I said, should. It doesn't require it and I understand
why I's chunking and streaming it for speed of sending. But why should
it send the content-length out properly for static files and not use
chunked encoding, and fail to do the same for my tomcat content and use
chunked encoding (especially when I'm not setting chunked encoding to
start with on the data)? That's not consistent.

-Tony
Manager, IT Operations
Format Dynamics, Inc.
303-573-1800x27