httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Lewis <...@joe-lewis.com>
Subject Re: Probably OT. Difficulty implementing content handler Apache2
Date Thu, 09 Jul 2009 17:15:53 GMT
Bernard T. Higonnet wrote:
> Here's my system
>
> FreeBSD 7.1-RELEASE #0
> Apache/2.2.8 (Unix) PHP/5.2.10 mod_perl/2.0.4 Perl/v5.8.8
>
> I'm trying to create a content-handler.
>
> I know that Apache finds the handler because if there's a syntax error
> in the perl, Apache reports
> the error.
>
> If however, there is no syntax error, everything falls into a deep
> dark hole: the browser (Firefox
> 3.0a2 under FreeBSD and Firefox 3.5 under XP) shows a beautiful empty
> screen while both access and
> error logs for Apache have no knowledge of the request. IE6 under XP
> says "This page cannot be
> displayed" and asserts a server or DNS error. So I conclude that
> Apache sends nothing at all back to
> the browser.

I know the feeling all too well.

> This happens no matter what the code is, code which I have lifted from
> the Internet such as
>
> http://cpansearch.perl.org/src/GOZER/mod_perl-2.0.1/docs/os/win32/config.pod)
> or
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/modperl/modperl/99882
>

> The Apache conf file has this in it
>
> <Location /public/footer>
>     SetHandler modperl
>     PerlResponseHandler Apache2::Footer
> </Location>
>

> I apologize for mailing to this list but have not found a better a
> place...
>
> TIA
> Bernard Higonnet

After a few minutes of searching for some example code and slapping it
together, I have an apache configuration that demonstrates the use of
mod_perl :

_________CODE_START________

PerlResponseHandler Apache2::example
SetHandler modperl

<Perl>
package Apache2::example;

use 5;
use strict;
use Apache2::RequestRec;
use Apache2::RequestIO;
use Apache2::Const -compile => qw(DECLINED OK LOG_DEBUG);
use Apache2::Log -compile => qw(LOG_MARK);
use APR::Const -compile => qw(ENOTIME);

sub handler {
  my $r = shift();
#  $r->log_rerror(Apache2::Log::LOG_MARK, Apache2::Const::LOG_DEBUG,
APR::Const::ENOTIME, "debug print");
  $r->log_error("debug print");

  if ($r->uri =~ m%^/my/uri/to/test%) {
    $r->content_type('text/html');
    $r->puts(<<"END");
<HTML><BODY>
<H3>Hello</H3>
Hello from <B>this</B>!
</BODY></HTML>
END

    return Apache2::Const::OK;
  }
  return Apache2::Const::DECLINED;
};

1;
</Perl>
_________CODE_FINISH________

Just paste that into a .conf file and include the .conf file into your
apache.  Then, restart, and point a web browser to your server using the
URI of /my/uri/to/test (e.g. http://example.com/my/uri/to/test).  You
should get a simple "hello!", and see a "debug print" in your apache log
file.  Keep in mind, with a module name like "Apache2::Footer", you
probably want it to alter the content of a page to add a footer rather
than create the complete content.

The replies in the one thread you provided a link to mention
content-handlers versus filters, but I think they meant "content
generators" instead of handlers.  The above is a content generator, not
a filter, and as such may not be what you need, but should give you a
good starting point.

Joe
--
Joe Lewis
Chief Nerd 	SILVERHAWK <http://www.silverhawk.net/> 	(801) 660-1900

/You hear people say it's not about the money? That's bull. I'm doing it
for the money.
    -- John Kruk on accepting a job hosting a TV show on Fox Sports Net/