httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From Tom Evans <tevans...@googlemail.com>
Subject RE: mod_deflate feature needed
Date Thu, 16 Jul 2009 16:52:01 GMT
On Thu, 2009-07-16 at 10:20 -0600, Anthony J. Biacco wrote:
> We're not violating the specs, we're following them. The HTTP spec
> states that you should send out a content-length header with the correct
> trasnfer length, and mod_deflate in this case is not doing that.
>
> -Tony

No it doesn't; it says that 'Applications SHOULD use this field to
indicate the transfer-length of the message-body, unless this is
prohibited by the rules in section 4.4'

Rule 2 of section 4.4 clearly indicates that you must not set it if you
are transferring data using the chunked transfer encoding (in fact, any
transfer encoding other than 'identity').

It is sub optimal in most use cases to buffer the entire response and
gzip encode it, so mod_deflate does the sane thing and so transfers it
in chunks.

Cheers

Tom