httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From Sorin Manolache <sor...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Loadtesting tools ?
Date Wed, 03 Jun 2009 18:40:04 GMT
On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 19:41, Elison Smith <elison.smith@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> (I realize that this question is not an exact fit for this mailing list)
>
> I have a website that runs Apache 2.x. I want to loadtest this site.
>
> I want to loadtest with as much as 50-100 requests per second.
>
> Any pointers to tools/ online services ?
>
> I am happy to pay for a tool that can do this.

Try jmeter http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/index.html although I
could not find a way to send requests at a specified rate. At work, we
use jmeter to send as many requests per second as possible and then we
look at jmeter's logs.

The required number of threads in order to reach a throughput of T
req/sec is T x avg_resp_time in seconds.

If you want your test to last S seconds, each thread must loop
S/avg_resp_time times.

So, for a desired throughput of 100 req/sec, a response time of let's
say 0.5 seconds and a test of 10 minutes you'll need 100 x 0.5 = 50
threads, each of them looping 600/0.5 = 1200 times.

You can configure what you want to log. You'll be able to compute the
histograms of response times, the error rate, the obtained throughput,
etc.