httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From j..@joe-lewis.com
Subject Re: persistent data : common/best practices
Date Sun, 24 May 2009 03:18:03 GMT
> My use case is actually the following :
>
> - I have to fetch a few rows in a specific table (around 10 rows)
>    but I do not want to fetch these rows for every request as I know
>    they will not change often (but I can not use a configuration file
> here).
>
> I thought about "caching" the result of this fetch so it is created once
> and every subsequent request could use it without hammering the database.

My suggestions :

  - Populate an apr_table_t with the data.
  - Use a shared memory segment so that if you use the prefork MPM, each
process can still access the data (use mutexes to keep things sane).
  - Use a time stamp on the data entries just so that (after they
"expire") you can go back and reload the data from the database.
  - Use a configuration option to set the "expire" value so that the
module can be adjusted as the load on the db increases.

I don't have any example code with me right now due to where I am, but you
should be able to google for it, or even check the apache source for
examples.  There is much out there.

Best wishes!
Joe