httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From Fabio Zund <fab...@eiffel.com>
Subject Re: Module segfault on Ubuntu apache
Date Sat, 16 May 2009 23:07:32 GMT

Joe Lewis wrote:
> Fabio Zund wrote:
>> However, when I compile and test the module on the apache (also
>> version 2.2.11) that comes with Ubuntu 9.04, all i get are segfaults.
>>
>> Does anyone know differences between the original apache and the
>> Ubuntu apache version? What in my module could cause such errors?
>
> Unfortunately, I have never looked at the sources and patches used on
> ubuntu.  I would suggest looking at the patches they include with
> their source installation.  I think that would be a very good place to
> start.  Additionally, debugging tools (e.g. gdb) might be a very good
> place to start.  Your hints for the day :  run "gdb httpd" (or
> whatever binary is used to start it, make sure you use the BINARY and
> not an init script), and then at the gdb prompt, enter "run -X" - this
> starts the binary in a single-instance mode.  Point the browser to it
> and generate the "errors".  Then type "bt" to get a back trace.
> Outside of that and looking at the patches, I am unable to help.
>
> Joe

The back trace in gdb showed that the segfault was caused by apr_pstrcat
() in /usr/lib/libapr-1.so.0. At this point I had libapr and libapr-util
version 1.1.12 installed (from the packager manager). So I installed
apr-1.3.3
<http://mirror.cc.columbia.edu/pub/software/apache/apr/apr-1.3.3.tar.bz2>
from the website. The same error occured. Then I installed
apr-util-1.3.4
<http://mirror.cc.columbia.edu/pub/software/apache/apr/apr-util-1.3.4.tar.bz2>
as well, but after that I could not start apache anymore, it says:
"/usr/sbin/apache2: symbol lookup error: /usr/sbin/apache2: undefined
symbol: apr_ldap_ssl_init"

I guess I'll just have to wait until the ubuntu guys add the new
apr/apr-util versions to the packet manager repository and make it work....

But thanks for the help!

- Fabio Zund