httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Input filter to process POST variables (e.g. mod_form)
Date Wed, 25 Mar 2009 20:10:39 GMT

On 25 Mar 2009, at 14:34, Erik Westland wrote

I'm sure I recollect replying to that question a few days ago:
in fact my mailer shows your question as replied to.  Guess
maybe it got lost in the ether.

>> It seems that "mod_form" (see: http://apache.webthing.com/
>> mod_form/) does the
>> parameter processing, but comes with the following ominous caveat:
>> "mod_form works with GET but is largely untested under POST, and
>> appears to have
>> problems with POST and HTTP Keepalive. That will be fixed, but
>> it's not
>> currently a priority."

There was some test case where it hung.  I've also had reports of it
working
successfully with POST.

>> Q: Does anyone know if this is safe to use? Their support page
>> lists mod_form
>> as: "unlikely to represent value to you."

That means I don't want anyone making the voluntary donation my pages
invite
on the false premise that it's a tried-and tested production-grade
module.

>> Q: Is there another alternative to writing my own? If not, any
>> idea what the
>> keepalive issue was?

mod_request (didn't exist when I wrote mod_form).  Or apreq (did exist,
but a more heavyweight solution).

>> Q:  Apache processes variables in the URL (parses into r->args)
>> during POST
>> requests, but the mod_form implementation doesn't look for r->args
>> when handling
>> POST requests. Is this disallowed/discouraged in the spec or an
>> oversight in the
>> implementation?

Both.  It's an edge case, and a mod_form incompleteness.  But it
won't bite you
unless your application uses a POST form with a query_string in the
action.
Or perhaps does similar for non-browser data.

--
Nick Kew