httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Lewis <...@joe-lewis.com>
Subject Re: post_config on reload
Date Fri, 13 Mar 2009 15:16:37 GMT
Andrej van der Zee wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if there is a solution for detecting a post_config
> invocation on behalf of "apachctl restart" instead of a clean start (in case
> of a restart, I do not want to initialise my stuff again).

Do not do this -  a restart should be a restart, not a half of a
restart.  You should be reinitializing whatever you do on a restart as
well as a start.  That's the whole point.

I have one phrase that should illustrate why : memory leak.

For example, if your extension creates another thread or spawns another
process and that other thread/process doesn't clean up on a restart and
contains a memory leak, what good is restart to you? Restart has
suddenly become pointless.

It is good etiquette to honour the concept of a restart.

Joe