httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From Ray Morris <supp...@bettercgi.com>
Subject Re: rewrite before caching?
Date Thu, 19 Mar 2009 20:22:04 GMT
   If you're doing your rewrite in .htaccess,
it _MAY_ help to move that rewrite to httpd.conf.
In many cases rewrite rules in httpd.conf get
processed at an earlier stage than those in
.htaccess.  This is becase Apace can't read
the .htacces file until after it resolves the
URL into a filename, so it knows which directories
to look for .htaccess files in.  That occurs
quite late in the process, during the fixup hook.

   Other than that, I can only suggest that there
are several http headers designed for the purpose
of controlling caching so that just the right things
are cached for just the right amount of time, and
only under the right conditions.  Using that carefully
designed and well established system may yield better
results than the "big hammer" approach of sticking
bogus junk into the URL, then trying to remove it
later for certain kinds of caching.  You've added
that to try to prevent caching, yet clearly the
content SHOULD be cached in some cases, as is
clear because you are actually wanting to cache
it.  Rather than inventing your own caching
system, look into setting the appropriate headers
so that it's cached when appropriate and for the
appropriate amount of time.
--
Ray B. Morris
support@bettercgi.com