httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From "Houser, Rick" <Houser.R...@aoins.com>
Subject RE: cache POST requests
Date Tue, 10 Feb 2009 18:36:58 GMT
You really shouldn't be trying to cache responses to post requests.
Completely from memory, but the HTTP spec says not to cache post
the addition of a select few vary headers, etc.), and your post data
really doesn't factor in.

The normal pattern to use in most of these situations is
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post/Redirect/Get.  Think of a post as a
submission from the client.  Once you have that submission, just tell
the client where to get the appropriate resource with a GET request and
leave the heavy lifting/caching until that request comes in.

Thanks,

Rick Houser
Auto-Owners Insurance
Systems Support
(517)703-2580

-----Original Message-----
From: Anthony J. Biacco [mailto:abiacco@formatdynamics.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2009 1:25 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Cc: modules-dev@httpd.apache.org
Subject: cache POST requests

Hello,

I'm using apache 2.2.11 on centos 5/x86_64 I'm testing out caching data
for GET requests using mod_disk_cache, which I have working.
I'd also like to cache data for the same requests via the POST method,
but this doesn't seem to work.
Is this supported? If so, is there any config changes required for this
to work? If not, is this feature planned?

Thanx,

-Tony
Manager, IT Operations
Format Dynamics, Inc.