httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From "Houser, Rick" <Houser.R...@aoins.com>
Subject RE: Setting a handler within a configuration directive
Date Mon, 24 Nov 2008 13:56:19 GMT
Sam,

With all due respect, it sounds like you are trying to implement a DRM
scheme.  It is not technically possible to provide a customer/user all
the portions needed to use a feature and absolutely prevent them from
fixing the broken code preventing it's access.  If you don't want
someone to have a specific capability, don't ship them the tools
implementing that feature.

Thanks,

Rick Houser
Auto-Owners Insurance
Systems Support
(517)703-2580

-----Original Message-----
From: scarleton@gmail.com [mailto:scarleton@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Sam
Carleton
Sent: Monday, November 24, 2008 8:46 AM
To: modules-dev@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: Setting a handler within a configuration directive

On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 11:00 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr.
<wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:

>> I have posted a number of questions along these lines and never get a

>> response, is this because folks simply don't know the answer?  If
>> folks here don't know the answer, where might I go to find the
answer?

> You are looking for someone who owes you an instant answer?  There are

> various companies out there you can pay for that privilege.

forgive me, I never meant to come across rude, I was simply perplexed at
why after a couple of days nobody had answered.  It had not dawned on me
that folks might not understand my question;)

> Otherwise, if you keep the questions civil, and reply to them yourself

> with further explanation so that folks understand exactly what it is
> you are asking, you are more likely to get a response, although it may

> not be as fast as you were hoping.

Thank you, the link has some very good ensight, the real trick for me
know is not forgetting what I just learned from reading it.  I will try
to make it a point to refer back to it from time to time.

> Sam Carleton wrote:
>> Is there any way to *hide* configuration?  I would like to set a
>> handler within a configuration directive.  Can it be done?
>
> Perhaps you can explain what you are asking?

I am a small one man ISV.  My software has different versions which have
different features.  I want to hide the fact that I am setting a handler
and authtype in the http.conf so my customer cannot hack the module into
providing features in which they did not purchase.

Sam