httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From "Sam Carleton" <scarle...@miltonstreet.com>
Subject Re: Setting a handler within a configuration directive
Date Mon, 24 Nov 2008 16:20:22 GMT
On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 10:49 AM, William A. Rowe, Jr.
<wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:

> Sam Carleton wrote:
> >
> > I am a small one man ISV.  My software has different versions which
> > have different features.  I want to hide the fact that I am setting a
> > handler and authtype in the http.conf so my customer cannot hack the
> > module into providing features in which they did not purchase.
>
> Start the server with -f real.conf.  Within real.conf, Include httpd.conf
>
> Otherwise no, and if you review server_info, these will show up.  Consider
> the POV of other Administrators, you certainly wouldn't want such things
> hidden from your purview as the admin, right?  So there's no such facility

Actually, there is no "administrator" of the web server, it is a
packaged solution where I am distributing the pieces of Apache that
are needed to run my app and I have a desktop application that creates
the httpd.conf and starts the web server.  Ultimately I am going for
security by way of obfuscation.  I know there are better ways and
maybe with time I will move that direction, but one step at a time;)

I was going to use SSL until I remembered there are export laws to
worry about, so being a one man shop, it simply isn't worth it:)

Sam