httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From Tom Donovan <donov...@bellatlantic.net>
Subject Re: mod_dbd issues in worker vs prefork mpm
Date Sun, 09 Nov 2008 16:03:18 GMT
Peter Poeml wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 03:24:00PM +0100, B. F. wrote:
>> I have recently started using the mod_dbd module for database
>> connection handling in my own module and a had slight hope that it
>> would perform better than a classic persistent connection approach.
>>
>> Basically I am using the ap_dbd_acquire(request_rec*) function in a
>> handler function (in my own module) and then uses some of the apr_dbd
>> functions to fetch data from a PostgreSQL database, all this seems
>> fine.
>>
>> When I run a performance test (using httperf) with the prefork mpm I
>> get numbers like ~100 requests/s.
>> However when I run the same test but now using the worker mpm, this
>> number drops to almost nothing...
>>
>> As I understood it, the worker (or any threaded mpm) should make
>> mod_dbd/apr_dbd perform better as it enables functionality needing
>> multi threading (like connection pooling) while prefork limits mod_dbd
>> to only use a persistent connection strategy. Despite this the prefork
>> mpm performs better...
>>
>> I have tried several different configuration setups without seeing any
>> great difference. A typical setup is however: 200 max_connections (in
>> postgresql.conf, the same for both the prefork and worker tests).
>> Having DBDMax set to 10 while setting ServerLimit to 20 should fully
>> make mod_dbd utilize all the 200 available connections in Postgres, is
>> that correct?

ThreadsPerChild affects how many threads share each DBD pool with worker mpm.

If you are running with the default value of 25 ThreadsPerChild, then each of your 20 processes
will
have up to 25 threads processing requests. Each process will have a pool of 10 DBD connections

(DBDMax) to share between its 25 threads.

When one of your processes is completely busy, some of the 25 threads must wait for one of
the 10
DBD connections.

This could explain why you get lower throughput with your configuration, but it really doesn't

explain why you get "almost nothing" vs. ~100 requests/s.

You might want to try this configuration if you have a hard limit of 200 database connections:
     ServerLimit 8
     ThreadsPerChild 25
     MaxClients 200
     DBDMax   25