httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From "Sorin Manolache" <sor...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: load modules at run-time without restarting httpd
Date Thu, 20 Nov 2008 07:59:58 GMT
On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 03:42, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> Andrej van der Zee wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was wondering if it is possible to load modules at run-time, without
>> restarting httpd?
>
> No.

Yes.

> They expect their initialization to occur when there is nothing but a parent
> process present.

True, but if you send SIGUSR1 to the parent apache process, the
children will exit gracefully and the parent will remain alone. Then,
it will unload the DSOs (the modules) and reload them. At reload, it
will reload the new module. I tried it (but on a server with no
load---I don't know how it behaves/how long it takes on a server that
is processing tens of thousands of requests at the moment of the
SIGUSR1) and it worked.