httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From Ray Morris <supp...@bettercgi.com>
Subject Re: Setting a handler within a configuration directive
Date Mon, 24 Nov 2008 19:40:40 GMT
On 11/24/2008 01:01:11 PM, Sam Carleton wrote:

> The honest truth is that 99% of my market
> doesn't even know what Apache is, let alone
> that there is a conf file that could be changed
> to get different behavior.

   That suggests that you probably have no reason
to hide anything.  For the 1% who DO know what
httpd.conf is, it may be best not to try to hide
their own system configuration from them.  You
probably could add a "license key" configuration
parameter.  Using an existing public key technology
you could generate keys needed to enable certain
features.  A simple version of this, which is not
as good as true public key cryptography, would be
code in your module like this:

str combined_key = str_concat(config->key, 'her78hgy7rfgwe')
if ( ! str_cmp(md5_hex(combined_key), '54y9748v78rq8vg8q3gb') ) {
   do _feature();
}
--
Ray B. Morris