httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrej van der Zee" <andrejvander...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Apache modification questions
Date Wed, 10 Sep 2008 01:46:00 GMT
Hi,

> > 1) What is the "recommended" way to carry the
> > GET/POST request identifier (inserted by the
> > developer of the web page) from the client
> > to Apache?
>
>    You're not going to get the browser to send
> a custom header by any changes you make to the
> page, except possibly using Ajax.  Javascript isn't
> enabled on all browsers, so that's out for a
> public web site.  Cookies also are often turned
> off, so that's out, if it's a public site.
> That leaves the QUERY_STRING, mainly.  (What
> you're calling GET variables).  We have another
> way that's better for many sites, but there are
> patent issues with that method.  (My company
> is seeking a patent.)

Now I am curious, but I bet you are not going to tell me!

> Using the query string
> means rewriting the content of each page, so
> one could do what PHP does and use cookies if
> they are available, then failover to query string
> if cookies are not sent by the browser.

This is a bit awkward since the QUERY_STRING in POST can be anything, for
example an XML-documents. I wonder why it is impossible to add a HTTP
Request Header in Javascript. Does anybody know? With AJAX and ActionScript
(or Flex 3) it can be done with a few lines of code. Anyway, I guess I could
write an Apache module with a hook-method that attemps to get the identifier
from

1) Custom HTTP request header
2) A Cookie
3) QUERY_STRING

In this order and DECLINE if not found. Though, how should I deal with, for
example, an XML-document in a POST requests? Where should I "hide" the
transaction identifier?

Best regards,
Andrej