httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From Ray Morris <supp...@bettercgi.com>
Subject Re: Apache modification questions
Date Fri, 05 Sep 2008 04:21:59 GMT
> Can all this be done in an Apache module?

  Yes, just about anything can be done in an
Apache module.  Based on your other questions,
it sounds like you need a thorough exposition
of the Apache API and probably the HTTP protocol,
so I'd suggets your next step is to study some
good documentation, such as the Apache Modules book.

> 1) What is the "recommended" way to carry the
> GET/POST request identifier (inserted by the
> developer of the web page) from the client
> to Apache?

   You're not going to get the browser to send
a custom header by any changes you make to the
page, except possibly using Ajax.  Javascript isn't
enabled on all browsers, so that's out for a
public web site.  Cookies also are often turned
off, so that's out, if it's a public site.
That leaves the QUERY_STRING, mainly.  (What
you're calling GET variables).  We have another
way that's better for many sites, but there are
patent issues with that method.  (My company
is seeking a patent.)  Using the query string
means rewriting the content of each page, so
one could do what PHP does and use cookies if
they are available, then failover to query string
if cookies are not sent by the browser.
--
Ray B. Morris
support@bettercgi.com