httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From "Harold J. Ship" <Har...@giant-steps-networks.com>
Subject Global Data
Date Tue, 12 Aug 2008 18:50:00 GMT
I'm in the middle of porting an application from IIS/Windows to Apache 2.2 module. In the application,
there is a lot of global data. The data contains both:

- application configuration that is read on startup and on receiving a certain HTTP request
to reload
- per-request data that is shared between certain requests with dependencies.

Other important information:
- The config data is very large, many MB
- The data structures are built with a lot of pointers to structs to pointers ...
- We are using the worker MPM.

My question is, how can we be sure that the data is stored only once on the machine, and accessible
by any request that needs it?

For instance, if we store it in the server pool, and we have multiple processes, how can the
request data be shared?
If we have to reload the configuration data, will each process need to maintain its own copy?
If we use shared memory, we will have to change a lot of code which today allocates data on
the heap.

One idea for the request data: is there a way to direct a request to be handled by a specific
process?

Harold Ship
Team Leader, Giant Steps Networks
04-678-3440 extension 106