httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Apache Version
Date Mon, 18 Aug 2008 18:06:27 GMT
John Hosie wrote:
> OK. I know there are good things about each. But in this day, is Apache 2 yet "ready
for prime time"? Or are we best still using one of the flavors of Apache 1?

Just based on your sig, I'd guess perhaps you are deploying on Windows?
If that's the case, 1.3 was never truly "ready for prime time" as it's
unix cousins were.  You needed to have dumped 1.3 on windows some years
ago for Apache 2.0 (and now, 2.2), which is much more particular about
honoring the case insensitive file names, handling filename aliases and
many other quirks of executing on win32 platforms.

Most of these required the server to be designed from the ground up with
threading, filesystems and so forth in mind, which is what 2.0 was.