httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From "Jason Fister" <jasonfis...@gmail.com>
Subject Local Memory pool
Date Tue, 22 Jul 2008 15:42:57 GMT
Hello all,

In my apache module, I receive, process and return large amounts of data.
The size of the data could be as large as 100's of megabytes. I allocate
memory from the request pool and let apache clean up the memory after each
request is served.

Although, apache is supposed to reclaim memory after each request is served,
I would like to explicitly clean up memory after processing each request.
This is because of the fact that size of data associated with each requests
and a large number of clients calling in to the module.

After doing some research this is what I am thinking about doing. In my
module_handler

    apr_allocator_t *local_allocator = NULL;
    apr_pool_t *localPool = NULL;

    apr_allocator_create(&local_allocator);
    apr_pool_create_ex(&localPool, NULL, NULL, local_allocator);
    allocate memory from this local pool

    apr_pool_destroy(localPool);
    apr_allocator_destroy(local_allocator);

    return OK;

Do you guys see any problem with this approach?

Jason Fister