httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From "Jason Fister" <jasonfis...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ap_get_client_block vs bucket brigades
Date Fri, 18 Jul 2008 01:13:50 GMT
On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 3:44 PM, Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com> wrote:

> >        I know when we use the
> > ap_get_client_block method to read the data, the data is not
> > available that point onwards to any other filter/module and that is
> > totally fine. Thats because when the uri has '/rest' in it, the data
> > is meant for my module.
>

> That I find confusing.  Mapping /rest/ URLs to your handler should
> be a matter of configuration (cf SetHandler).

Sorry for not being clear. You are correct. I am infact mapping /rest/ to my
module in the config file. What I meant in my earlier mail was that once a
request ends up in my module, the accepted behavior of my module is to
process the data and then return a response to the client. no other
filter/module is supposed to do any further processing of that data.

> > I have been doing some online reading and now I am wondering if I
> > shld have used  buckets/brigades in my module.
>
> That gives you more flexibility, if you need it.
>
> > 1. Is my approach totally wrong?
> > 2. Will the use of bucket brigades have a positive impact on the
> > performance?
>
> There was talk of deprecating, or even pulling, the client_block API.
> But it never happened, nor do I think it's likely to in future 2.x.
> As for performance, you're unlikely to see a significant change
> unless you find some optimisation outside the scope of this question.

Thanks for the clarification!

Jason