httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: ap_get_client_block vs bucket brigades
Date Thu, 17 Jul 2008 19:44:14 GMT
On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 15:06:25 -0400
"Jason Fister" <jasonfister@gmail.com> wrote:

> Clients can POST, PUT, GET to this uri. I use ap_get_client_block to
> read the http body in case of POST and PUT.

If that works for you, then it's fine.

>	 I know when we use the
> ap_get_client_block method to read the data, the data is not
> available that point onwards to any other filter/module and that is
> totally fine. Thats because when the uri has '/rest' in it, the data
> is meant for my module.

That I find confusing.  Mapping /rest/ URLs to your handler should
be a matter of configuration (cf SetHandler).

> I have been doing some online reading and now I am wondering if I
> shld have used  buckets/brigades in my module.

That gives you more flexibility, if you need it.

> 1. Is my approach totally wrong?
> 2. Will the use of bucket brigades have a positive impact on the
> performance?

There was talk of deprecating, or even pulling, the client_block API.
But it never happened, nor do I think it's likely to in future 2.x.
As for performance, you're unlikely to see a significant change
unless you find some optimisation outside the scope of this question.

--
Nick Kew

http://www.apachetutor.org/