httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: Module-Restart and Library-Reload
Date Wed, 09 Jul 2008 11:59:23 GMT
On Wed, 9 Jul 2008 09:07:00 +0200
Manfred Rebentisch <mrebentisch@comparat.de> wrote:

> I have two questions in conjunction with my handler-module:
>
> A) The module does use other shared libraries (on linux, *.so) for
> plugins / functionality. Is it possible to reload such a shared
> library (after software changes and placing a new version) without
> restart of apache?

No.

Well, the module itself could enable that, but would have to deal with
the same issues as "graceful restart".

> B) The module loads for a virtual host an application library (shared
> lib on linux). On Apache-Restart the library is loaded and also for
> each library the module creates a Shared Memory segment. How can can
> I reload an application library for a virtual host without restart
> the whole apache? Is that possible?

No.  A module is loaded into the server; virtual hosts run at a
config level.  A perchild-like MPM could perhaps give you more
separation, though at quite a cost in terms of efficiency if
each vhost needs its own libraries!

--
Nick Kew

http://www.apachetutor.org/