httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From "Eric Covener" <cove...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Connection filter for forward proxy
Date Fri, 13 Jun 2008 11:37:43 GMT
On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 11:41 PM, Peter Belau
<peter.belau@anchorfree.com> wrote:
> This may be a silly question but how would I go about giving mod_proxy some
> knowledge about another module which it should call if the module is
> installed ? Obviously, I understand how I could hack mod_proxy itself in
> order to tweak the selection but I do not understand how mod_proxy could:
>
> 1. Check for the presence of a module
> 2. Given that the module is present, somehow ask the module to return the
> correct proxy.
>
> Again, this all makes sense when I think of it in terms of a shared
> libraries but not so much as Apache Modules. Am I missing something basic ?

Look at the provider mechanism used by the mod_proxy and
mod_proxy_balancer to select a load balancing algorithm.

(grep provider modules/proxy/*.[ch]

Then it's just a matter of changing ProxyRemote to implement the
default provider, adding a little string config option to choose a
non-default provider if you want it, and implementing the the new
provider.  It would have a fair chance of being integrated into
upstream Apache to allow other modules to extend the selection
algorithm.

--
Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com