httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From Thib <chep...@gmail.com>
Subject How to manage memory allocation/free in the handler ?
Date Fri, 04 Apr 2008 12:07:33 GMT
Hi,

I need to allocate memory during the execution of my module's handler.

I'm used to do this action with the apr_pcalloc function in the
configuration methods.

For example, in create_snu_config : new_cfg = (snu_config *) apr_pcalloc(p,
sizeof(snu_config));

This section is executed once, but in the handler, the allocation
instruction is called at each request.

And I don't know how to free this memory at the end of the handler method. I
don't find any method in apr to do that (as apr_pfree...).

Do you know what is the best practice ?
- Create a new memory pool with apr_pool_create, use it and destroy it at
the end of the handler call
- Use a "free" method (as free or another method)
- Don't use apr_pcalloc but traditional malloc and free functions

Thanks a lot for your help ;)

Thib