httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: Handler method is it executed in mutex?
Date Fri, 04 Apr 2008 08:51:54 GMT
On Fri, 4 Apr 2008 09:04:50 +0200
Thib <cheprod@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm developping an Apache Module, and I ask me a question about the
> execution of the handler.
>
> Do you know if the handler is executed in mutex (mutual exclusion) ?

It isn't.

> In the method create_snu_config, I allocate the memory :

Anything created there should be treated as read-only at request
processing time.  If you need to change that, you can create a
mutex, but even then you're in danger of leaking memory, by
causing the child process to make its own copy of a global pool.

> And in the handler I read/write variables :
>
>          strncpy(s_cfg->eni.calling,&buffer[iDebut],iTaille);

Actually you can do that with a mutex, since you're not allocating
anything new from the config pool.  But I wouldn't recommend it.
Use a local variable.  If you need request-local variables to be
available over multiple hooks/callbacks, use the request config.

--
Nick Kew

http://www.apachetutor.org/