httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From "Sam Carleton" <scarle...@miltonstreet.com>
Subject Re: long running background tasks
Date Tue, 18 Mar 2008 12:53:29 GMT
On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 6:43 PM, ed <ed-http@s5h.net> wrote:

>  What might be better for you is to add this to a queue, perhaps via
>  means of a unix socket (or IP socket) of another process, that does this
>  work.

Actually today the program is only Windows and in time will be
Windows, Linux and OSX (aka BSD).  After posting I had a feeling that
a daemon (Windows NT Service) would be the most likely approach.  The
only remaining question is:  How best to let the daemon process know
it is time to grab the task from Apache.  In Windows there are named
Event Object (http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms682655(VS.85).aspx)
so the Apache Server can set the event and the daemon know it needs to
get the new task from Apache.  Does the Linux/BSD world have something
like named Events?

Sam