httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: development environments...
Date Fri, 21 Mar 2008 19:07:17 GMT
Sam Carleton wrote:
> I have spent my development career in Windows using both DevStudio and
> Visual Studio.  One of the reasons I am going to be using Apache C
> Modules and Axis2/C is to be cross platform.  Does anyone have any
> recommendations on a good cross platform development environments that
> has a debugger for Apache C Modules and Axis2/C development?

Sam those are developer tools, and it entirely depends on what platform.
VS works just fine for developing code, it's your job as a programmer to
ensure it's actually portable with parallel development to other platforms,
sticking to portable APIs (e.g. apr instead of posix etc)...

I don't personally use any GUI's beyond win32 VC - gdb / dbx etc work
just fine for my debugging needs, vi works just fine for altering files
to compile correctly on other platforms, gcc is a good overall solution
but you may also want to watch solaris/ibm/hp native compilers if you
will target those (and just to have a "third compiler" agree that your
code is good).

But I hear rumor that Eclipse does a dandy job authoring C/C++ code.