httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From ed <ed-h...@s5h.net>
Subject Re: long running background tasks
Date Tue, 18 Mar 2008 19:11:53 GMT
On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 08:53:29 -0400
"Sam Carleton" <scarleton@miltonstreet.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 6:43 PM, ed <ed-http@s5h.net> wrote:
>
> >  What might be better for you is to add this to a queue, perhaps via
> >  means of a unix socket (or IP socket) of another process, that
> > does this work.
>
> Actually today the program is only Windows and in time will be
> Windows, Linux and OSX (aka BSD).  After posting I had a feeling that
> a daemon (Windows NT Service) would be the most likely approach.  The
> only remaining question is:  How best to let the daemon process know
> it is time to grab the task from Apache.  In Windows there are named
> Event Object
> (http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms682655(VS.85).aspx) so
> the Apache Server can set the event and the daemon know it needs to
> get the new task from Apache.  Does the Linux/BSD world have
> something like named Events?

Linux IPC is sockets, semaphores and pipes.

Personally, using the filesystem might be portable enough for you.

Leave a file in /tmp/apache_messagenam_pid.tmp. Once the file writing is
complete, move the file to /tmp/apache_messagenam_pid so your collector
program can read the full message.

This doesn't require sockets or anything that should make portability a
problem.

--
The GameCube is errored because of a translator who
speaks Bocce. R2D2 is having Robert Mann to write some scripts.