httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Bray <Tim.B...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Debugging httpd
Date Thu, 10 Jan 2008 01:47:21 GMT
On Jan 9, 2008, at 5:16 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

>> Hi... I'm back to work on mod_atom and chasing a weird bug around.
>> Anyhow I totally can't figure out what some apr code is doing so I
>> wanted to step into it with the debugger.  This sounds lame, but I
>> can't figure out how to build an httpd that has APR linked with
>> debug information.
>> What are the approved incantations to make an httpd with some
>> control over the -O and -g options?
>
> It helps if you remember apr's CFLAGS are trusted by apr-util, httpd
> etc, but you need to re - ./configure after rebuilding apr to utilize
> this trick.

So... something like this?

 > rm -rf /usr/local/apr/*

 > cd srclib/apr
 > "CFLAGS=-g" ./configure
 > make
 > make install

 > cd ../..
 > "CFLAGS=-g" ./configure
 > make
 > make install

I *think* I did that.  If you tell me you think something like that
should work, I'll try again.

At the moment, the symptom is:

/usr/local/apache2/ 1092> gdb bin/httpd
GNU gdb 6.3.50-20050815 (Apple version gdb-768) (Tue Oct  2 04:07:49
UTC 2007)
GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and
you are
conditions.
details.
This GDB was configured as "i386-apple-darwin"...Reading symbols for
shared libraries ........ done

(gdb) b main
Breakpoint 1 at 0xa021: file main.c, line 440.
(gdb) b apr_global_mutex_create
Breakpoint 2 at 0xa45e

AAAARGH.