httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Lewis <...@joe-lewis.com>
Subject Re: mod_proxy chaining with a .pac file - OFF-TOPIC?
Date Tue, 22 Jan 2008 18:20:03 GMT
First, I want to apologize for keeping this off-topic conversation one
last time on the mailing list.  I think if we allow this to be archived,
any questions should be more easily answered using archives, hopefully
reducing our work load.

Giovanni Donelli wrote:
> Hi
>    Thanks for your reply. I do apologize for not being clear. I will
> try to restate what I want to achieve. For the sake of this discussion
> allow me to simplify the browser/internet interaction as follows:
>
> User enters URL in browser ->  **browser resolves domain name** ->
> connect to server x -> HTTP request....
>
> In the way the browser **resolves** the DNS is where the pac file is used.

You may want to read and understand the specification first.  Remember
that browsers do not reconfigure each time a page is hit - they obtain
the configuration once (via a direct URL to a .pac, a DHCP response, or
a DNS lookup for a wpad hostname - it's in the spec).

The only time in those activities that apache could be involved is in
the direct URL to a .pac file - and it's a static .pac file you drop on
the web server, or serve the proxy.dat file that the DHCP specified or
the DNS method is trying to find.  In any way, nothing according to
apache is occurring that is dynamic - it's just serving a .pac or .dat file.

Which means there is no need to set up an apache module that handles
stuff like this unless you are really crazy and want to construct a
dynamically generated .pac/.dat file (I would not suggest this).

If that is the direction you want to go, we may be able to assist -
however, I doubt that is what you want.  Most proxy servers have static
IP addresses, which means the .pac/.dat file should be static as well.

Once again, may apologies to those who are expecting module development
assistance in this as we're not sure we even need it yet.

Joe
--
Joseph Lewis <http://sharktooth.org/>