httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Lewis <...@joe-lewis.com>
Subject Re: mod_proxy chaining with a .pac file
Date Tue, 22 Jan 2008 14:39:45 GMT
Giovanni Donelli wrote:
> Dear mod developers,    I would like my apache proxy (mod_proxy) to take a
> .pac file for proxy chaining.
> To my understanding I can only set proxy chaining to a single server. This
> is very unfortunate because pac is used by a lot of people:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_auto-config

First, are you meaning how a web browser configures it's own proxy (the
above link talks about this)?  Or are you talking about using apache to
create a .pac file (a topic for another list)?  Or are you writing a
module that will support the DHCP and/or DNS to handle the WPAD look
ups?  (If using a .pac file, just place the .pac file in a directory and
configure the web browser.  If using the fully automatic, you have to
reconfigure DHCP or DNS to handle it.  The web browser itself only
replies with the .pac or .dat file if specified.)
> Question number 1:
> - is there a way, if you know, to configure apache to support "
> Proxy_auto-config" proxy chaining?

See the above answer regarding setting up the other services.

> if there is not... then I am willing to write a mod to do it, which leads me
> to second question:
>
> Question number 2:
> - At what stage (which hook) does the actual selection&connection to the
> remote server occur? Will it be possible to override it?

There is no "selection" to the server.  All web connections happen over
TCP on IPv4 or IPv6 - "selection" would be more of a term for
broadcasting a packet (UDP) or multicasting - none of which apply to the
web server.

All that I've said so far can be summed up succinctly : a connection to
a web server will not be made until the web browser has been configured,
or tries to retrieve a configuration file, which only comes from DHCP or
DNS requests for a wpad host on the network.

Joe
--
Joseph Lewis <http://sharktooth.org/>