httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From Joachim Zobel <jzo...@heute-morgen.de>
Subject Re: performance vs development time
Date Mon, 26 Nov 2007 07:12:10 GMT
Am Sonntag, den 25.11.2007, 21:32 -0500 schrieb Sam Carleton:
> In
> the rewrite, I am considering caching the data in these files and
> reading them only if they are changed.  The question though is:
> Considering how small these files are, will the performance gains be
> worth the extra development time?

No. A decent operating system will keep the files in memory unless they
are changed anyway. You could have the same performance gain with a 100
$s worth of CPU or a faster disk. In addition all extra code reduces
reliability no matter how good it is.

> Another option would be to switch
> from using libxml2 to expat for the XML parsing.

Depends. libxml2 has much more functionality, especially a DOM
implementation. If you are only doing SAX, expat may be an option. I
doubt however that it will give you a speed gain.

Sincerely,
Joachim