httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Lewis <...@joe-lewis.com>
Subject Output filters and HEAD requests
Date Tue, 18 Sep 2007 18:27:42 GMT
Ladies and Gentlemen;

I am looking for two answers here.  The first is really a validation.

1) I have an output filter that is changing the Last-Modified time to
the most recently modified document that is involved in creating the
requested page.  This works successfully if the full page was requested,
but if HEAD is run, the output filter does not modify the Last-Modified
header, resulting in the Last-Modified of the initially requested file
being returned.  I am assuming that output filters do not run on HEAD
requests.  Is that correct?

2) If that IS correct, what is the best way to open the document to
identify other items that need to be parsed and tested for age?  Should
I recreate a new bucket brigade and call the output filter?  Sub
requests without a HEAD (sounds like it would take less code to do, but
may require more effort on the part of Apache) ?

Any ideas, experiences, advice, or pointers would be more than welcome.

Joe
--
Joseph Lewis <http://sharktooth.org/>