httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Bray <Tim.B...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: New Bie
Date Sun, 05 Aug 2007 15:34:19 GMT
On Jun 21, 2007, at 2:01 PM, Joe Lewis wrote:

> In addition to all of the previous suggestions, a quick way to get the
> Makefile and source code :
>
> apxs2 -g -n sample
>
> creates a directory named "sample" and source files in there (e.g.
> "mod_sample.c" that contains a VERY good starting point (this info
> should be in the archives somewhere).

Yep, replying to a six-week-old email.   In case there are any other
newbie module devs out there like me, the above looks like a very
attractive option.  I'd been using Josh Rotenberg's mod_skeleton but
it suddenly flatly refused to compile anything on a recent Debian ("I
didn't change anything", the luser said), and I was kind of helpless
because the Makefiles it generates and the process by which it gets
them are far, *far* too twisted for anyone not entirely immersed in
libtool & httpd culture to have any hope of understanding them.

Now, the apxs-generated skeleton didn't quite fit; I have a src/
subdirectory and two or three extra .c files... but it took like 3
minutes looking at the reasonably-straightforward Makefile and
various pieces of *.mk that get included in to fix that.

   -Tim