httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: using mod_deflate inside a module
Date Wed, 04 Jul 2007 15:25:25 GMT
On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 17:08:56 +0200
Marco Spinetti <m.spinetti@pisa.iol.it> wrote:

> There is something I can't understand.
> If you declare
>
> ap_add_output_filter("INFLATE", ctx, req, conn);
>
> how can I call the function to decompress a content and the get the
> control again?
> I knew that  ap_add_output_filter declares an outut filter which is
> called after your module.
> Am I missing something?

It sounds like you're missing apache's filter architecture.  It's too
much to summarise in an email, but see my .sig (the site has articles
as well as the book).  The manpage for mod_filter might also help
explain what Mike tried to tell you.

If you want a functional API for (de)compression, then nothing in
apache is relevant to you, except insofar as the mod_deflate code
is a usage example.  Of course you can do that: you just lose the
benefits of Apache's modular architecture, and end up with something
looking like a monolithic kitchen-sink CGI application.

--
Nick Kew

http://www.apachetutor.org/