httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Bray <Tim.B...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: modules dev docs, porting docs
Date Tue, 24 Jul 2007 17:06:24 GMT
On Jul 24, 2007, at 9:36 AM, Richard Hubbell wrote:

> Just finished a porting project of a module from
> 1.3->2.2.4 and I found information scattered all over
> and eventually found what I needed.  I thought that I
> just didn't have the "right" link or something to the
> docs. I guess my expectations may have been too high.
> It seems like a project like httpd.apache with it's
> millions of users wold have a much more mature set of
> docs.  The httpd 2.2.4 doxygen stuff was hosted
> off-site and those were a life-saver. The APR docs
> helped a bunch too.  But the docs don't seem to match
> the popularity and ubiquity of the project. Anyone
> disagree? Or have I missed something?
> I will help with docs where I can.

As one who wrote some modules for 1.3 a few years back, and recently
returned to write one for 2.2, I found the documentation to be pretty
weak, and (what's worse) mod_example is simply incorrect; it should
be fixed or removed.  If I get some cycles to invest in docs, I'll
start with mod_example on the theory that examples are the best
tutorials.

The saving grace is that the httpd & modules code is generally very
transparent and readable.  In every case, when I was puzzled as to
(a) what does apr_furgle_brolly() really do?  or (b) how do I
accomplish XXX? I was able to track the answer down by poking around
*.[ch].

Use the Source, Luke.  -Tim