httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From "Danie Qian" <dan...@bestningning.com>
Subject Re: mod_authn_dbd - internal server error after certain idle time
Date Mon, 09 Jul 2007 19:56:35 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Donovan" <donovant@bellatlantic.net>
To: <modules-dev@httpd.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, July 09, 2007 11:29 AM
Subject: Re: mod_authn_dbd - internal server error after certain idle time

> Danie Qian wrote:
>>

>>> With this patch, setting DBDTimout lower than the MySQL system variable
>>> 'wait_timeout' will ensure than expired connections never get used.
>>>

>> Assuming by DBDTimeout you mean DBDExptime in mod_dbd documentation
>> where it implies a keepalive value, how about making mod_dbd to send
>> something to mysql server so that its wait_timeout timer gets reset
>> whenever the keepalive time elapses? Is this what the setting originally
>> meant for?
>> As I am pretty new to this listing and I apologize if I am not on the
>> same page as you guys.
>>

> Yes, sorry - you are correct. I did mean DBDExptime.  I slipped up
> translating the APR lingo to the mod_dbd lingo...
>
> re "not on the same page" - I didn't think that at all.
> If you're new to this, you sure catch on quick!

Thank you for the kind words. I am a little overwhelmed by the complexity of
mod_dbd.c, especially its use of dbd_group_t. I couldnt find any notes for
it so I wish someone here could shed some light on it for me and anyone
interested.

> The patch I proposed is not just for MySQL.
> I don't use MySQL myself (although I tested the patch with it anyway).
>
> The problem with "send something to mysql server" is that it is a
> MySQL-only solution to the problem.   I was trying for a more general
> solution since this affects other databases too.
>
> As an aside - I have an apr_dbd_odbc driver:
>   http://code.google.com/p/odbc-dbd/
> which I use with several different kinds of databases.  This is what I
> used to test the patch.
>
> I don't know if the APR folks will like my proposed patch - they might
> not.  You are welcome to use it, but you probably won't want to use it
> in production until they decide.

I am trying to get the whole thing to work for some server(farms) that will
eventually become very high traffic sites. We have been using the
third-party mod_auth_mysql.c for the last few years but decided to give a
try on these new modules. I will test your patch on a small server and
hopefully they will make the decision soon or come up with a better
solution.