httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Lewis <...@joe-lewis.com>
Subject Re: VOT: Tracking users
Date Wed, 20 Jun 2007 13:16:38 GMT
Sam Carleton wrote:
> There is this web site I like to frequent.  For some reason it has
> blocked my main workstation from being aloud to post on it.  When I
> login with the same user id/password on any other machine, including
> virtual machines I am able to post with no problem.
>
> Initially I thought it was blocking based on cookies.
[snip]
> Then I thought it was blocking based on IP address, but my current
> network is behind a OpenBSD firewall running NAT and any other machine
> behind the firewall is able to post just fine.
[snip]
> Then I thought it was something else that was browser specific, until
> I just installed the Safari client on the main workstation and the
> first attempt to post with that browser was
> ALSO blocked!
You did well, Sam : butter us up before asking an OT question.  The best
source of help is your internal IT staff (your own network guys).  But,
just so a "help" for this kind of thing exists in the mailing list
archives, here is the OT path to "track" down the issue.  First, do the
workstations have proxies or are there transparent proxies on the
network?  Second, what is actually responding with the "blocked"
message?  Is it an accelerator or caching server?

Once you have answered those two questions, your next best friends are
tcpdump and ethereal (you won't have tcpdump on XPSP2).

I would suggest taking a network trace from each workstation (one that
works and one that doesn't) and compare the two.  You may find what you
are looking for.

(Just to keep this more on-topic - perhaps they have an apache module
doing some sort of digital signature - we should implement one of our own!).

Joe
--
Joseph Lewis <http://sharktooth.org/>