httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Lewis <...@joe-lewis.com>
Subject Re: Apache Thread Creation/Destroy Problem (mod_ssl problem)
Date Mon, 18 Jun 2007 20:23:45 GMT
Croteau, Beau wrote:
> Does anybody have any ideas.  I don't see any 'hooks' in OpenSSL for
> thread creation or destruction, but maybe I'm missing something.  (Yes,
> I have used the APR thread functions to no avail as well).
>
> I'm really perplexed by the behavior.

I DO know that the SSL extension for apache does attempt to use global
mutexes - the reason is that as an SSL connection is terminated, it
needs to be "resumable" with a fast handshake (as per the SSL
handshakes), which could happen across clients. Now, I don't see it
creating, so that may not be an issue.

Something I noticed is that your sleep() function is for 83 minutes
(repetatively, no less). (You could be seeing issues with the threads
running for so long - mutexes work in conjunction with threads and
semaphores to keep things in sync). Additionally, you are using
_beginthread() [which are native Microsoft calls] when you could be
using apr_thread_create (I don't know how portable those commands are to
winders, but you might want to try and implement those). See

http://apr.apache.org/docs/apr/0.9/group__apr__thread__proc.html

for more details regarding the functions.

I'd try the aprlib functions to see if things improve - which I expect
they will - and if they do, what you are experiencing is a collision of
threads and shared memory routines between the windows platform and the
actual APRLIB utilized by mod_ssl.

Joe
--
Joseph Lewis <http://sharktooth.org/>