httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From Mike <dykci...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Compilation problem on Mac OS
Date Thu, 28 Jun 2007 11:36:52 GMT
On 6/28/07, Graham Dumpleton <graham.dumpleton@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't think it's matter of use the apxs.
The point of using apxs, is that as long as you use the version of
apxs from the version of Apache you want to use, it will ensure that
the correct include files and libraries are always used. If you use
apxs to install the module it will also ensure that the module is
installed to the correct location.

By using your own compilation rules there will always be the
possibility that you miss something and pick up header files and/or
libraries from the wrong Apache version or that you don't use certain
platform specific compiler/linker options that may be required. Thus
using apxs would generally be a more reliable way of ensuring that
things are going to work correctly.

This is more so the case on MacOS X which requires a variety of
strange options when building the actual module .so itself. This is
because on MacOS X there is a difference between shared libraries and
dynamically loadable modules. Such a distinction does not exist on
Solaris and Linux platforms where a shared library is also usable as a
dynamically loadable module.

Anyway, without seeing the actual commands you are using to do the
compilation and then link the .so file, doing it properly with apxs is
all I can suggest.
Ok, I got your point. I'm gonna try to use apxs and post current Makefile as
soon as I reach home.
Thanks for pointer.