httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: Basic query regarding client-server communication with browser setting HTTP 1.0/1.1
Date Thu, 31 May 2007 09:19:18 GMT
On Tue, 29 May 2007 16:47:30 +0530
"Souramita Sen" <Souramita_Sen@mindtree.com> wrote:

This whole thread is full of confusion and misinformation.
Please read the HTTP spec.

> In HTTP 1.0 each request will
s/will/may/

>	initiate separate TCP/IP connection and
> in HTTP 1.1 persistent connection will

s/will/may/

What changed was the default behaviour.

>	 let the browser send multiple
> requets in one TCP/IP connection itself, and it provides Pipelining
> too.	 HTTP 1.1 also provides Transfer-encoding=CHUNKED that allows
> server to send huge text/html files as series of chunks.

Allows, yes.  But in the case of a file, chunked encoding is
pointless and inefficient.

> Till this point, I have understood.
>
> Now I would like to know how the server sends huge html files when
> browser supports only HTTP 1.0?

Same as in HTTP/1.1

> Because there is no concept of CHUNKED transfer-encoding here, how
> the server handles the response consisting of huge files?

Chunking and the Content-Length header are mutually exclusive.
When the content length is known in advance, as in the case of a file,
then it should be used.  The third option is just to mark the end of
data by closing the connection.

--
Nick Kew

http://www.apachetutor.org/