httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From "Souramita Sen" <Souramita_...@mindtree.com>
Subject Basic query regarding client-server communication with browser setting HTTP 1.0/1.1
Date Tue, 29 May 2007 11:17:30 GMT

Hi,

This is common across all web servers I suppose.
When a user types an URL in the browser(suppose http://www.abc.com) the
server gets request for various MIME types(e.g text/html, text/image etc).

In HTTP 1.0 each request will initiate separate TCP/IP connection and in HTTP
1.1 persistent connection will let the browser send multiple requets in one
TCP/IP connection itself, and it provides Pipelining too.
HTTP 1.1 also provides Transfer-encoding=CHUNKED that allows server to send
huge text/html files as series of chunks.
Till this point, I have understood.

Now I would like to know how the server sends huge html files when browser
supports only HTTP 1.0?
Because there is no concept of CHUNKED transfer-encoding here, how the server
handles the response consisting of huge files? If this is not the right place
for this question to be discussed, please give me a useful URL. Actually I am
not getting clear from net, not from RFC too.

Thanks in advance.
Souramita.

DISCLAIMER:
This message (including attachment if any) is confidential and may be privileged. Before opening
attachments please check them for viruses and defects. MindTree Consulting Limited (MindTree)
will not be responsible for any viruses or defects or any forwarded attachments emanating
either from within MindTree or outside. If you have received this message by mistake please
notify the sender by return  e-mail and delete this message from your system. Any unauthorized
use or dissemination of this message in whole or in part is strictly prohibited.  Please note
that e-mails are susceptible to change and MindTree shall not be liable for any improper,
untimely or incomplete transmission.