httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From "Sam Carleton" <scarle...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: translate_name and/or map_to_storage hooks
Date Fri, 06 Apr 2007 14:20:14 GMT
> On Fri, 6 Apr 2007 00:51:52 -0400
> "Sam Carleton" <scarleton@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >         (for now, assume that the whole
> > application will be in the apache module.)
>
> That assumption seems fundamentally flawed.  A substantial
> and complex application will be built from a number of modules,
> and is likely to mix preexisting components with new ones.
> If you're thinking of all your work being one module, then
> you need to take a step back and review it.
>
> A good startingpoint is "one module per task".  How many tasks
> does your application comprise?  How many of those tasks can
> be accomplished using existing modules?
>
> It's also of course a valid approach to mix-and-match modules
> with other components such as scripts and backends.  But I
> guess you see that as an intermediate stage in your work.

Nick,

I think I forgot to mention in the last post that what I am working on
is a packaged solution with a GUI frontend.  There are going to be two
different distributions, the first will be installing apache and all
the needed components with the GUI to run on one machine, the pro
version will have the apache piece install on another machine,
possibly a preexisting apache server.

As I said before, I am completely, 100% open to how I should implement
this whole application, I just don't want to get carried away using a
million different technologies because it will make it that much
harder to put together an install;)  My goal is a one click install!

I have been thinking of keeping the HTML piece in PHP.  It sounds like
you agree that is a logical approach, correct?

Sam