httpd-modules-dev mailing list archives

From "Graham Dumpleton" <graham.dumple...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: translate_name and/or map_to_storage hooks
Date Thu, 05 Apr 2007 22:40:39 GMT
On 05/04/07, Sam Carleton <scarleton@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/5/07, Graham Dumpleton <graham.dumpleton@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 05/04/07, Sam Carleton <scarleton@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > I have one module that does a few different things.
> > >
> > > 1: create a index html document of images
> > > 2: create a page html document of one image (when user clicks on an
> > > image in the index)
> > > 3: Handle the image request that are in the HTML of #1 and #2 and send
> > > out all the images.
> > >
> > > Right now I have it all written in PHP, there is a index.php for #1
> > > and #2 and an imageHandler.php for #3.  I am trying to understand the
> > > best way to separate this logic within my one module.  Someone else
> > > suggested I look at hooking translate_name.
> > >
> > > I found my answer to how to determine the location, so I have been
> > > playing with it since my post and when I set the r->filename =
> > > "images"; and return OK, I get a 403 Forbidden.
> >
> > Probably because you haven't allowed Apache access to the images
> > directory. Ie., you still need to have something like:
>
> For starters, the objective is to do away with the PHP code
> altogether, I don't think I will do that in the first round, just
> replace the image handler, but I am thinking long term;)
>
> The way I have it configured is this:
>
> <Location /coolapp>
>     SetHandler mod_my_cool_app
> <Location>
>
> I don't understand your comment about not allowing Apache access to
> the images directory, for starters, from the perspective of Apache,
> there isn't an images directory, it is elsewhere on the machine that
> Apache does not have and will not have access to, it is a security
> thing.
>
> But I don't think that is really relevant to the problem.  When I type
> in /coolapp/images in a browser, my module does get called and the URI
> is /coolapp/images, why is it when I simply set the request's filename
> (r->filename) to "images" I get a 403?  Apache did not have a problem
> with /coolapp/images, why would it have a problem with
> /coolapp/images/images?  Or does filename mean something different?

In a translate name handler, if you assign to r->filename then the map
to storage phase will still kick in and ensure that Apache has access
to whatever you set r->filename to. Thus, you still need a Directory
directive corresponding to the physical location you set r->filename
to that marks it as accessible. The translate name handler, unless you
also override map to storage handler to work around it, is not really
for setting the target to a virtual resource.

I could try and suggest other approaches, but don't really grasp how
you want all this to work so would just probably going around in
circles. If in the first instance all you want to do is rewrite URLs
to give a different view to the clients, I still suggest you at least
first use mod_rewrite to produce what you want. I know you don't want
to use mod_rewrite in the long run, but being able to see a set of
mod_rewrite rules that demonstrate exactly what you want makes it
easier for anyone to understand as it is clearer than some English
description.

Graham